Read Time: 4 minutes
We all want to know how we can make a bigger impact on the world around us. In the case of digital marketing, this is equivalent to how our brand could reach and influence as many people as possible. Good web design can help us capture a greater audience in our quest to market our brand well. So, how exactly does web design do this?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
One of the first ways in which web design influences digital marketing is through Search Engine Optimization. In order to rank well in a Google search, a website needs to be search engine friendly. This is the aim of SEO.
How Do I Ensure That My Site Has Good SEO?
There are a number of things that you can do to help your website stand in good SEO stead. Some of the first things you can look at include:
- Removing duplicate content. If your site has duplicate content, it could have a negative impact on rankings in a search because multiple copies of content dilutes the visibility of each individual piece.
- Ensuring that your site is accessible by mobile devices. The increasing trend of Googling information from a mobile device means that your site should be mobile friendly. If it is not, it could negatively affect your SEO.
- Including online reviews. Having reviews on your site not only provides suggestions for you to improve your site; if users rate your site well, the reviews can help toward getting your site to appear in a better ranking position in a Google search than your competitors.
Web Design and Branding
Web design can also affect how your brand is portrayed. In order to correctly market your brand, you should try make sure that the design of your site accurately reflects how you want your brand to be seen. For example, if your brand is largely concerned with simplicity and minimalism, your website probably shouldn’t be crowded with lots of different colors or have extensive navigation. On the other hand, if your brand is associated with creativity and passion, perhaps it would be more suitable to have many or bright colors and an expressive font in your website’s design. Working with a professional graphic designer will help you achieve the best look and feel for your brand and website.
A large component of Digital Marketing is the User Experience. If your site gives a bad user experience, users will probably be less likely to share your page or give your page a good review. Again, this could negatively affect your site traffic, SEO and Brand perception.
How Do I Improve My Site’s User Experience?
There are many ways to improve user experience – the methods you choose to do so will depend on the form and function of your website. Some things you can think about to improve user experience include:
- Making sure your navigation correctly matches your site’s needs. If your site has only a few important pages, perhaps single-bar navigation would be suitable. On the other hand, if your site has a lot of information and/or pages, it may be better to use dropdown navigation with or without flyouts. Regardless of which navigation you use, make sure it is easy to see and easy to navigate.
- Ensuring that your website doesn’t have a long loading time. If your website has a long loading time, users won’t be too likely to recommend or visit your site again. Don’t include any unnecessary images or widgets that will slow your site down. Although these might add to the aesthetics of your site, they may not be the best to have when it comes to site speed.
Conversion rates are closely linked to the user experience of your website. If your user experience is good, you are more likely to convert potential customers into loyal customers. As with user experience, if your site has a long loading time, you may struggle to capture these potential customers as they are discouraged from using your site. In designing your website, you should consider using Social Media buttons. If your user experience is good, people will want to share your site with others. This could increase your conversion rates and better promote your brand. Also, your site should inspire potential customers to become loyal by being authoritative and clear in the content you post on your site. People will be more likely to trust your brand and become loyal customers if they see that you know what you’re doing.
The design of your website should digitally market your brand as best it can and aim to maximize your site’s SEO. Its user experience should be pleasurable and it should try to have as good a conversion rate as possible.