So, you heard about SEO which confused you. Now, you’re hearing about local SEO which is confusing you even more. Take your hand off the panic button – it’s not that complicated, we promise.
If you are a business that is looking to unlock the value of digital marketing, then local search HAS to form part of your strategy.
In this article, we unpack what this term means and how you can use it to take your business from zero to hero. If you are wondering how to improve your digital marketing strategy, then read on.
It’s the practice of optimizing a website to rank higher for geographically-related searches. For example, if you own a coffee shop in Tamarac, you would want your site to come up when someone searches “good coffee shops in Tamarac.” Side note: This is something we do all the time as coffee is our fuel for digital marketing excellence!
Google considers a few things to consider which results are more relevant to a specific search term. These include things like:
If you can optimize your website for these factors, you stand a good chance of ranking highly in local search results. You do need to remember though that there is more to just ranking highly on Google – although that is important. It’s also about driving relevant traffic to your website and, ultimately, getting more customers through your door.
Local search is important for two main reasons – people use it and it converts.
1. People use it
Did you know that 46% of all searches on Google are looking for local information? That means that if your business doesn’t have a strong presence in local search results, you could be missing out on a huge chunk of potential customers.
2. It converts
Not only do people use local search, but it also converts. In other words, people who find your business in local search results are more likely to visit your store or purchase your product than those who find you through other channels. In fact, local search is one of the most effective marketing channels for small businesses.
So, if you’re not already invested in this part of your SEO strategy, now is the time to start. The good news is that it’s not as complicated or time-consuming as you might think.
You can optimize your website in a few ways. Here are some of the most important:
1. Optimize your website for mobile devices: People are searching for local businesses on their mobile devices more than ever before. In fact, 60% of all Google searches are now conducted on mobile devices. That means that if your website isn’t optimized for mobile, you’re already at a disadvantage.
2. Add your business to Google My Business: Google My Business is a free listing that allows businesses to control their information in Google search results. Claiming and optimizing your listing is one of the most important things you can do for your local SEO.
3. Add location pages: If you have multiple locations, or if you serve customers in a specific geographic area, consider adding location pages to your website. These pages should include relevant information about each location, such as the address, phone number, and hours of operation.
4. Optimize your titles and meta tags: The title and meta tags on your website play a role in how well your site ranks in local search results. Be sure to include relevant keywords and location information in these tags.
5. Add Schema Markup: Schema Markup is a code that you can add to your website to help search engines understand your business better.
6. Get listed in local directories: In addition to Google My Business, there are a number of other local directories where you can list your business. These include Yelp, Yellow Pages, and Foursquare.
7. Build citations: Citations are mentions of your business on other websites, even if they don’t include a link back to your site. Try to build as many citations as you can.
8. Generate reviews: Online reviews play a big role here. Encourage customers to leave reviews on your Google My Business listing, as well as on other sites like Yelp and Angie’s List.
9. Monitor your progress: Use a tool like Moz Local to track your progress and ensure that your listing is appearing in local search results.
Local SEO is an important part of any small business marketing strategy. By taking the time to optimize your website for local search, you can make sure that your business is visible to potential customers who are searching for businesses like yours.
Do you need help with your local search results? We offer a complete suite of services that can help you get more visibility and traffic from search engines.
Contact us today at 877-816-2259 to learn more! You can also check out a ton of interesting articles on our digital marketing blog.
Stay up to date on industry news and receive promotions & special offers.
Don't worry we hate spam as much as you do.Search Official Google Partner List
8499 West Commercial Blvd
Tamarac, FL 33351
Toll Free: 1-877-816-2259
Contact your local SEO Experts to see how we can get you ranking on the first page.